Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Party Panoramic: Necessity Inspiring Art

Midnight Party Panoramic

You definitely have to click through to appreciate this one. I'd have to say it's my favorite group shot I've taken. Ironically, a lot of the elements I like most about it were borne out of necessity.

This is a farewell party that took place in a rather narrow bar downtown, late at night. The cramped area  and overly dim lighting made a large-group portrait a daunting task, but those are always the most fun to tackle. Because of the low lighting a flash was necessary to capture crisp, recognizable faces, with a lingering shutter to gather up the ambient colors and, as an artsy side-effect, some wispy light trails.


I definitely know how to stitch multiple photos for a seamless panoramic when the situation calls for it, but sometimes it's impossible. When that's the case, it's best to play with the obvious overlapping, rather than fight it. Here the result is a somewhat abstract collage that I think probably reflects the feeling of that night pretty well.

Some of my favorite elements: the loner on the far left with the drifting cigarette, the "swinging" chandelier (effect of the long exposure), and the dude in the front row who seems to be surprised by the beer in his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment